International Applicants

Fei Tian Academy of the Arts is authorized under United States federal law to enroll eligible non-immigrant middle and high school students under the F-1 category, and welcomes talented students from around the world to apply. The Office of International Services (OIS) is designated to help international students with their specific needs, including visa application, visa renewal, and status maintenance. This section outlines basic information concerning application procedure and legal requirements.

Understanding immigration rules and keeping the relevant immigration papers organized and up-to-date can also be a challenge for many newcomers. The Office of International Services provides guidance to international students regarding visa, nonimmigrant status, travel instructions for entering or leaving the United States, school transfers, extension of stay, change of nonimmigrant status, reinstatement, social security, and any other procedural matters concerning international students.

In addition to the normal admission standards and procedures, special considerations listed below apply to international applicants.

Transcripts and pertinent medical records must be translated into English before submission. Other information, such as ESL test scores, that may be helpful in determining the grade and academic course level placement at Fei Tian should also be included.

An audition is normally required of all students who apply, including those applying from abroad. However, with prior approval from the Academy for special situations, international applicants may send videos of their performances in lieu of an audition.

The following are the general steps an international student will go through when applying and attending Fei Tian Academy of the Arts:

  • Fei Tian determines whether the student fully meets admission requirements.
  • Upon acceptance, the student must submit an Application for Visa Certificate (AVC) to request a Form I-20 from Fei Tian.
  • Upon approval, Fei Tian creates an initial SEVIS record for the student and sends a signed copy of the Form I-20 to the student.
  • The student pays the SEVIS I-901 fee using the Form I-20. Refer to the website for some common questions and answers about the SEVIS I-901 fee.
  • The student must apply for a visa if he or she is not currently in the United States and not from a visa-exempt country.
  • A US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officer at the airport will confirm through SEVIS that the student’s enrollment in Fei Tian is valid and will issue the student an I-94 form or input the student’s information for accessibility of the I-94 online.

After entering the United States, students must report to OIS within 30 days of the date that appears on the SEVIS I-20 form to register for courses or to validate their intended participation. Failure to do so may invalidate their legal status in the United States.

All students whose native language is not English are given a test to assess their fluency for placement into a remedial ESL program.

It is important that students keep their passports, I-20 and I-94 forms, and other legal documents in a safe place and pay attention to their expiration dates.


Non-immigrant students who are not in the United States and not from a visa-exempt country must apply to the local consulate for an F-1 visa. The student should bring several items to the interview:

  • Information about Fei Tian Academy of the Arts (this Catalog)
  • The signed Form I-20 from Fei Tian Academy of the Arts
  • Evidence that the SEVIS I-901 fee has been paid
  • A signed passport, valid for at least six months after the date of entry into the United States
  • Visa application forms from the US consulate (e.g. DS-156) and required photos
  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous schools
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses for at least the first year of study

Students from visa-exempt countries need not apply for visas at their local US consulates, and should instead bring the relevant documents to the US port of entry and apply for F-1 nonimmigrant student status upon entering the US.